No packing list for a camping trip is complete without one – or several camping lights. Camping lights provide you with the ultra-necessary benefit of well…. light on your camping trip. Never underestimate how important light is on a camping trip, especially if you plan on hiking away from your camp, when an unexpected injury or disaster could strike at any moment.
Having the right light available can be the difference between life and death in extreme circumstances, so make sure you’re appropriately prepared for whatever may happen by stocking the right camping lights.
Best Camping Lights
You need a durable, large, and bright camping light for the picnic/outdoor area at your camp. A good camping light will provide enough light to help other campers get back to the RV, cabin, or tents as the sun sets and it should at least brighten up the surrounding area to ward off any predators.
We’ve already done our research into plenty of camping lights, and we’ve found some of our favorite camping lights:
Sun King Pro Solar Powered Light
- Designed for everyday use at home.
- 3 lighting modes, 120 lumens of light & USB charging port.
- Keep all your USB-powered devices charged and ready to go.
- Versatile multi-functional design.
- SONCAP and PVOC certified.
The Sun King Pro Solar Powered light is a lightweight, eco-friendly camping lantern perfect for brightening up any outdoor area like a picnic table or porch. The light swivels on the sturdy frame, and it can be removed entirely and carried around if you want to move.
There are various settings of brightness for the Sun King Pro, and the lantern even doubles as a charger via a 5.5 volt USB phone charging port.
Snow Peak Hozuki Lantern
- Run the lantern on 4 AA alkaline batteries for 40 hours.
- Power it via a mini USB cable.
- Attach it to a loop on the inside of your tent.
- Operate the lantern in standard mode for solid light.
- Put the lantern into candle mode for a natural display.
If you need a light for inside a tent or cabin, then Snow Peak Hozuki LED lantern is perfect. This small, yet decently bright lantern will provide a decent amount of light – at least enough to make it possible for you to see directly around you.
The Hozuki Lantern comes with a hook so you can attach it to your tent and it’s powered by four AA alkaline batteries. On its’ various modes, a full battery charge can lit the Hozuki for 4 hours on high, 10 hours on medium, and 40 hours on low light.
It’s also possible to be powered with a mini USB cable if absolutely necessary.
Bright SunBell Solar Lantern and Charger
- An “all-in-one” solar lantern and cell phone charger.
- High quality DC/DC USB adaptor.
- 1.8 W Solar panel with 3m/9ft cable.
- 3 High quality LEDs with adjustable light.
- 1 LiFePO battery, 1.400 mAh / 3.2V with 2,000+ cycles.
We’ve already talked a lot about the SunBell Solar Lantern and it still remains one of the best camping lights money can buy. It’s solar panel quickly charges the battery to last anywhere from 4-100 hours, depending on the brightness settings.
If you’d like, you can remove the lantern entirely and use it like a flashlight. On high, the SunBell lantern lights up to 150 lumens, which is a substantial amount of light that you probably won’t need to often.
It’s won several awards now for its’ design quality, durability, and overall efficiency, and it’s definitely a smart purchase if you’re someone who frequently camps.
Best Basic Camping Flashlights
For the average camping trip, you won’t need any fancy flashlight with all the bells and whistles. Instead, a general, basic flashlight is more than enough to cover all of your needs. Basically, you just need a small flashlight in the event you get home too late.
Without going into too much detail, here are some great basic camping flashlights:
LE Adjustable Focus CREE LED Flashlight
- Spotlight for long range observation.
- Output bright can come to 140 lumens (MAX).
- 3 AAA Battery(required and included).
- Skid-proof design & waterproof design.
- Diameter is 1.34in. Length is 4.29in.
This super basic flashlight is available on Amazon for only $7.99. Powered by 3 AAA batteries, the LE CREE LED flashlight is perfect for everyday use. For its’ size and price, it provides excellent value with over 30,000 hours of shelf life.
There’s nothing fancy about it, the CREE LED light is just a great basic flashlight.
Streamlight 66318 MicroStream C4 LED Pen Flashlight
- Features a super-bright, high-flux.
- Lifetime of up to 30,000 hours.
- Consists of micro optical system.
- Facilitates optimized output and run time.
- Waterproof construction. 3-1/2 inches in length.
If you’re looking for a simple, very portable flashlight, then the Streamlight MicroSteam C4 LED Pen Flashlight is perfect. This super-bright, has a shelf life of 30,000 hours and waterproof construction ensures this flashlight can weather the elements no matter how brutal they may be.
Best Camping Headlamps
If you’re hunting or taking an early hike before sunrise and don’t feel like carrying a flashlight, then you’ll probably want a headlamp. These hands-free lights are perfect for when you have tough terrain to hike, or when you need to machete your way through thick brush.
GRDE Sport LED Headlamp
- Include Headlamp, 2 rechargeable batteries.
- Please remove the plastic wrap off the batteries.
- Lifespan reach up to 100,000 hours. Brightness up to 1800 lumens.
- Can use as headlamp ,Waist lamps or Desk lamps.
- 3 Modes Low, Mid, Strobe.
The GRDE is a versatile headlamp that has 4 modes to accommodate any situation: high light, low light, red light, or white light. Made specifically for camping, fishing, and other outdoor activities, the GRDE Sport LED headlamp is the perfect durable, comfortable headlamp perfect for all activities.
Best of all, the GRDE Sport headlamp is a top seller on Amazon for only $12, which offers incredible value.
Lighting EVER Headlamp
- 3 levels of WHITE light brightness.
- Headlamp is perfect for anyone who needs a headlamp.
- Protected against splashing water from all angles.
- 3pcs AAA alkaline batteries are included for your convenience.
- Weighing only 2.85oz.
Another affordable headlamp is the Lighting EVER headlamp, featured on Amazon for only $7.99. There are several brightness settings featured on the headlamp to accommodate any of your lighting needs (2 White LED, 10 White LED, 18 White LED, 2 Red LED).
The Lighting EVER headlamp doesn’t necessarily do anything great, but given its’ price and durability, it offers value that few other headlamps can also offer.
Next time you plan a camping trip, you’ll be ready to light up your campsite like a Christmas tree. Never underestimate the importance of lighting when you’re outdoors. Now you have several options to ensure you’ve got all the lighting you need to stay safe and to enjoy a wonderful camping trip.