The low profile of interesting color combinations make the Astral Loyak a bold looking causal shoe, but the real value of the Loyak lays in its superior comfort. This lightweight footwear looks like a bold casual shoe but fits and feels like you are wearing a high performance moccasin. Originally designed to be a shoe for kayakers and river guides, I have been using the Astral Loyak as a travel shoe option and it has been an absolute pleasure to wear!
What makes the Loyak a high quality travel shoe?
The Astral Loyak’s superior style is not the only aspect that make them a high quality shoe for travel:
- Durability: the Loyak is constructed with Astral’s unique Lilo design that was made to give river guides the most durable shoe possible. If you take the shoe out of the river guide context it means that it will provide the traveler with a shoe that can go the distance and still look fantastic.
- Grip: this river shoe has a G15 rubber sole with a waved pattern grip. These shoes were designed specifically to provide the wearer with the best grip possible, even when wet. This means that you can take these shoes on a hike in most situations and they will provide you with the support and traction you need.
- Flexibility: the g15 sole is not only effective at gripping it also provides a high level of flexibility aiding in the shoe’s overall comfort.
- Drainage: as I mentioned earlier, the Loyak was originally designed to be shoe for river guides. This means that the shoe handles wet environments extremely well. The material of the shoe itself dries out very quickly, but the toe and heel offer a drainage solution that helps water escape quickly and effectively.
- Lightweight / Packable: The total weight of the Loyak is a mere 6.35 oz (180g) and their low profile mean they can easily slipinto the sides of a suitcase or carry-on.
The Loyak is available for $79.95 and comes in three different color patterns : the blue with brown, black on black, and red with black. However if these don’t fit your style I highly suggest checking out http://www.astraldesigns.com/ to see the other footwear they have to offer (I am particularly fond of Porter and the Brewer for men and the Mary Jay for women).
All of Astral’s shoes come with a 100% guarantee against any manufacturing defects. In addition, if your Astral shoes end up looking a little less than brand new due to wear the company will fix them up for a small charge.
I would recommend a pair of Astral shoes to anyone who is traveling to Central or South America, South East Asia, or anywhere you think you might be in an environment that could get wet in a hurry. Yet, I would point out that these shoes are so stylish looking and comfortable you may just want them as your main causal shoe during your next trip no matter where it might be.